Learn The Basics of Fermentation For a Happy Gut!
We are passionate, fascinated, and yes, obsessed by the world of fermentation. We love brewing, cultivating microorganisms, and creating the deeply flavoured living foods that bring us health and joy. This century-old preservation tradition has found its way back into modern kitchens as our need and desire for healthier and less processed foods has increased. Our guts have been loudly asking us for more pro- and prebiotic-rich foods and for more flavourful plant-based dishes and so here it is: Sayuri Healing Food’s Level 1 Fermentation Chef Training!
This week-long course will take you way beyond simple sauerkraut. We will introduce a wide variety of fermented foods into your life and empower you to cultivate a friendly and confident relationship with your chosen bacteria, moulds, and yeasts. We will learn how to troubleshoot and understand how to avoid unwanted organisms. And most importantly we will learn how fermented foods help us feel awesome every day, super motivated in life, and are a fabulous tool to create sustainably radiant health in our every life!
We will talk about the importance of fermented food & guts health, and how vital it is to have a healthy internal microbial environment for our physical and physiological health. We will discuss the latest scientific research and take a closer look at the “microbiome” and our “second brain” (or is it our first?).
You are a seasoned chef or a passionate home cook and want to bring more flavour into your raw and vegan cooking? You have been paying a little fortune for plant-based yogurt, kimchi, and kombucha and want to learn how to make them yourself? You already master kimchi and kombucha but want to explore more? You want to heal your gut and restore a healthy intestinal flora? You are simply curious and love the idea of cultivating bacteria and yeasts? Then this 6-day Fermentation Intensive is for you! We invite you all to join us in our buzzing Sayuri Healing Food Academy just behind the Sayuri Healing Food Café, and learn the techniques, specialty ingredients, and tricks of the trade required to set up your very own fermentation kitchen and start brewing.
We will review all the basic ferments such as sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha, water kefir & nut cheese that we share in raw chef training level 1 with great new variations. And we will introduce exciting new organisms, techniques and recipes, and we will take our nut-cheese fermentation to the next level. In Fermentation Level 1, you will learn all about wild fermentation and vegan cultures, how to use Japanese koji to ferment and pickle sweet and savoury foods, and you will get to create new recipes every day with your new ferments. You will use professional equipment, learn valuable kitchen tips, go on a fun field trip, and work in teams to design and create your very own creative fermentation project. You will meet wonderful like-minded people and have the opportunity to enjoy the magical village of Ubud, Bali.
We eat energy. And we exchange the energy of love through food. If “we are what we eat”, we want to become the love that we eat. We want to become the flowing, shining, and endless love within by eating healthy, nutritious, heart-opening and dare we say, enlightening food. In the different tabs, you will find curriculum, price, location and booking details.
Please don’t hesitate to contact [email protected] with any further questions.
What you will learn
- What are fermented living foods and why are they good for us?
- Gut Health and superior immunity with fermented foods
- Fermentation, soaking, activating, sprouting
- Lactic, fungi, acetic fermentation
- Fermentation equipment and tools
- Wild fermentation vs cultures
- Probiotics, nuts, and flavours used in raw vegan cheese-making
- Plating and presentation
- Field trip!
What you will make*:
- Kimchi and sauerkraut variations
- Brewing kombucha and water kefir, 1st and 2nd fermentations
- Using koji and its variations
- Japanese pickles
- Tree nut cheese
- Kvass, teach and other fruit ferments
- Many recipes using our ferments for delicious lunches!
- Dehydrating fermented products
- Vegan yogurt variations
- Smoothies and shakes
- Sauces and dressings
- Desserts with fermented products
- Final creative project
* you will be working at stations of 4 students.
Our training is purposefully condensed from 9.30 to 3.30 every day to give you the opportunity to discover the incredible variety of plant-based cafés and restaurants in Ubud. We will provide you with a list of our favourites and highly recommend you try them out to widen your experience! Go in groups and taste and share!
We start at 9.30 to give you the time to attend yoga classes before or after class.
SAMPLE DAILY SCHEDULE
9:30-11:15 Class or Lecture
11:30-13:15 Class or Lecture
13:15-13:45 Lunch Break
13:45-15:30 Class or Lecture
Welcome circle/dinner at 5 pm
Party/Graduation/Closing Circle until 5pm
* Includes classes, manuals, field trip, lunch on all class days, Sayuri Healing Food Fermentation Training Level 1 certificate (please note that you will receive a “certification of completion” of a 1-week fermentation training. Although it is not an accredited license, it documents your acquired knowledge & skills should you want to apply for work in a similar field.)
** Does NOT include flights, accommodation, yoga, breakfast, dinner.
how to book
Booking Procedure & Payment
Book your ticket easily and safely at the top of this page under CHOOSE YOUR DATE. You will be guided through the entire process. Payment by credit card will be processed in Indonesia Rupiah.
*Alternative payment methods on request: [email protected]
CANCELLATION POLICY for ACADEMY CLASSES AND TRAININGS
IF YOU CANCEL THE PARTICIPATION
Please note that there will be no refund or discounts for arriving late, leaving early, flight cancellations, travel delays or illness. If you cancel your participation in the event for any reason, the refund policy below will apply, with no exceptions. To protect yourself further, we strongly encourage you to purchase travel insurance.
CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY:
Refunds apply as follows:
* Raw Chef Trainings and Masterclasses:
– More than 8 weeks before the start of the course: 100% refund less 10% handling fee.
– 4 to 8 weeks before the start of the course: 50% refund less 10% handling fee.
– Up to 4 weeks before the start of the course: no refund.
* 4-Day Intensives and Individual Cooking Classes:
– 1 week or more before the class: 100% refund less 10% handling fee.
– 6 days or less before the class: no refund.
* Bespoke classes for Retreat Groups:
– 1 week or more before the class: 100% deposit refund less 10% handling fee.
– 6 days or less before the class: no refund.
IF WE CANCEL THE EVENT
In any circumstances, we reserve the right to adjust the program (i.e., replace a facilitator).
In the unlikely event that we must cancel the event due to illness, emergency, death, natural disaster or political upheaval, etc., alternate dates will be offered. Registrants unable to attend on the alternate dates will receive a full refund.
We cannot, however, compensate you for any incurred airfare, travel, or accommodation costs. To cover these risks, we highly recommend you purchase travel insurance.
NOTE & TRAVEL INSURANCE
We accept no liability for loss, damage, injury or illness, which may occur during the retreat. All students are strongly recommended to have their own travel insurance to cover any loss or injury, including repatriation if necessary.
Raw Chef Trainings and Masterclasses are limited to 16 students with all practical skill classes held in pairs or groups of 4 people. 4-day intensives and cooking classes are limited to 30 people.
Arrival, Pickup, Visa and Accommodation Info
4-Day Intensive Course: Please arrive at 10am sharp on the first day of your course.
Raw Chef Trainings, Desserts Chef Trainings, Chocolatier Certifications: We will all meet on the first course day at 5 pm at the Sayuri Healing Food Academy for our Opening Circle and Welcome Dinner. Please arrive on time!
AIRPORT PICK UP
We recommend arranging your airport pick up with the accommodation you will be staying at. There is also an official taxi stand right after the arrival gate at the airport. Below is our Friend Taxi Drivers list. Please contact them directly via email or WhatsApp if you want them to pick you up.
Kadek: [email protected] (he also has a nice homestay in Hanuman Street)
Ketut (Galang Wijaya): [email protected] (he also offers amazing Balinese farm cooking classes)
Visitors from most countries do not require a visa if you are staying 30 days or less. If you think you might want to extend your stay beyond 30 days, you will need to purchase the Visa on Arrival directly at the airport or at the Indonesian embassy in your home country. It will cost around 35 USD and is required to apply for an extension. Immigration rules change here all the time, please check again on the Internet before you book your travel.
Closest to Sayuri Healing Food Café and Academy (our recommendation!)
- DoReMi Ubud Guesthouse （www.doremiubudguesthouse.com）$27~ / night (just around the corner from us, kind Japanese owner)
Contact: [email protected] (Yumi) + 62 852 5384 4849
- Hidden Garden Bamboo Villa (https://abnb.me/ouMLMjE4kM / http://urx2.nu/N0hj ) $60~ / night (just around the corner from us)
Contact: [email protected] +62 89672843885
- SenS Hotel & Spa（www.senshotelsresorts.com ） $70~ / night (right next to us)
In walking distance to Sayuri Healing Food Café and Academy and in budget price range:
- Tebesaya Homestay
- Karma House
- Desak Putu Putera Hidden
- Bali Sila Tebesaya Apartment
- Pondok Kutuh Guest Houses
- Desak Putu Putera Cottages
Following are a little further away (need motorbike/motorbike taxi)
Budge price range:
- Villa Mantra https://www.villamantrastudio.com/
- Runa Guesthouse http://www.booking.com/hotel/id/runa-guesthouse.html
- Pangkung House www.booking.com/Pangkung-House [email protected]
A little more expensive :